dinsdag 12 november 2013

Gluten free Banana Muffins with Raisins and Macadamia nuts

I love baking & cooking so my storage bursts with food and as a result with left over food stuff. Somehow you can always buy everything in large quantities only, and you need itty bitty bits of things in your recipes. So I have jars with raisins, coconut, nuts, several kinds of gluten free flours, preserves... well you name it actually, and it is all in my fridge or storage. I realize I buy a gigantic amount of food each week with all my gluten free stuff and I always need stuff in storage, just in case. That's what you get when you make everything from scratch because prefab gluten free is even more expensive. It's a bit insane, I know, I could feed half a village on what's in our store cupboard. But I use it all. 
Because what do I do with all that? Well, I bake with what I can find. These muffins were born out of left overs and the urge of my three year old to bake with mommy.  :-)

I just tossed in what I could find and ended up with this lovely result. Soft, sweet, fragrant muffins.
These muffins make a great lunchbox treat too!
This recipe makes about 16 muffins. 

Ingredients:
  • 75 grams (2.75 oz) of soft butter
  • 150 grams (5.5 oz) of powdered sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 200 grams (7 oz) of gluten free (brown) rice flour
  • 2 teaspoons of xanthan gum
  • 250 grams (9 oz) of bananas (mashed to a pulp)
  • 5 tablespoons of buttermilk
  • 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
  • 0.5 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
  • 200 grams (7 oz) of sultanas
  • 85 grams (3 oz) of chopped up Macadamia nuts
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade (350 degrees fahrenheit).
  2. Beat the butter and powdered sugar in a big bowl to a frothy substance.
  3. Beat in the eggs, make sure the mixture doesn't split. If it does, add a bit of the flour. 
  4. Mash up the bananas and add these together with the milk to the mixture in the bowl.
  5. Sift the flour, cream of tartar and the xanthan gum and add it to the bowl.  Mix it in with the grated nutmeg, raisins and chopped up Macadamia nuts. Pecans would taste amazing as well. 
  6. Take out muffin tins, line them with paper muffin cups and scoop in the batter. 
  7. Put the muffin tins in the oven, and bake the muffins until golden. It will take about 45 minutes. 
  8. Take them out of the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
  9. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. 
Enjoy! 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten