zaterdag 23 februari 2013

Basic glutenfree cookie recipe that never fails

I hardly every buy glutenfree cookies for my kids, even though there are wonderful products out there. I almost always bake them myself, with some "help" from my boys. Not only because my kiddo's love baking them with me, but because this way I know exactly what I serve my kids. No preservatives, no scary sounding ingredients that I have to google. And with this recipe it's hardly a hardship. The only obstacle during the cookie making process is my 2,5 year old son, who just eats the cookie dough before I can turn it into cookies. This basic cookie dough never fails and you can experiment with it as much as you like. This recipe doesn't make crunchy cookies but soft, gingerbreadlike, delicious ones. The recipe uses orange zest to flavour the cookies, but my kids make me add gingerbread spices always, because the like that best. 

My little rascal enjoying the dough
Ingredients:
200 grams (1.6 cup) of rice flour
0.5 tablespoon of xanthan gum (to keep your cookies from crumbling)
1 teaspoon of glutenfree baking soda
50 grams (a little over 1/3 of a cup) of light caster sugar 
orange zest from one orange ( I add 2 tablespoons of gingerbread spices)
50 (about a 1/4 of a cup) grams of butter
1 egg
2 tablespoons of golden syrup

Instructions:

  • Preheat the oven to 160 degrees centigrade (320 degrees centigrade)
  • Put all dry ingredients in a kitchen aid or bowl and slowly add the other ingredients while mixing. Add some extra rice flour if the mixture is too moist, and a bit of milk if it gets too dry. 
  • Take it out of the bowl, dust the surface and roll out to an even dough, about half a centimeter or half an inch thick. Get out your favorite cookie cutters and cut out about twenty cookies. 
  • Put them on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake them in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes. 
  • Let them cool on a wire rack. If you want, you can decorate them with icing, but my kids love them just the way they are!
Enjoy! 




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten