zondag 24 maart 2013

Glutenfree soda bread made with love

I own tons of cookbooks. Not so surprising as I love to cook and bake. And the best thing is that I use many of them, I make recipes from all, I have favorites bookmarked and all my cookbooks look like they had a food fight. I'm a messy cook, but I blame that on my passion for cooking. ;-)
But after the diagnosis of my son my cookbooks on baking bread disappeared to the back of my cookbook shelf, thinking I would never use them again. With pain in my heart I let go of my Paul Hollywood's 100 great breads, my bread bible. But over 5 years later I feel confident enough to adapt those recipes to make glutenfree goodiness. Today, I dusted off that same book and baked Paul's Irish sodabread, except I made it glutenfree of course. And I remembered why it has been my bread bible for so long. The bread is heaven. 

If this doesn't make you hungry, what will? 


Ingredients:
  • 500 grams (1 lb 2 oz) of glutenfree bread flour. All purpose flour will do too probably. 
  • 20 grams (0.75 oz) of glutenfree baking powder
  • 7 grams (0.25 oz) of fiber husk
  • 7 grams (0.25) of xanthan gum
  • 1 teaspoon of bakers salt
  • 75 grams (2.75 oz) of soft butter
  • 150 ml (5 fl oz-¼ pint) of milk
  • 225 grams (8 oz) of Greek yoghurt (instead of 150 ml of buttermilk from the original recipe which I didn't have)
  • 2 middlesized egged, loosely beaten
  • Some (sesame) seeds to decorate your bread


Instructions
  • Line a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper.
  • Put the flour, baking powder, salt, fiber husk and xanthan gum in a bowl and mix well. Add the butter and work it through the flour.
  • Add the other ingredients and mix to make a firm dough.
  • Make a ball from the dough, put it on the baking tray and let it rest for 20 minutes while you preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade (400 degrees fahrenheit).
  • Carve a cross in the top of the dough ball, use some milk to gloss over the top and add some (sesame) seeds to decorate the dough. 
  • Bake 30 to 45 minutes (depends on your oven) until it turns golden and smells heavenly. Let it cool on a wire rack before you eat it all with some salted butter on each slice. ;-
I will probably attempt to bake many more breads from my so beloved bread bible now this was such a success, so keep an eye out! :-D

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten