zaterdag 22 juni 2013

My cookie crack: sugar candy cookies

I go grocery shopping with Gijs every Saturday, while my husband and Thijmen go to the gym to run on the treadmill and to have swimming lessons. And every week Gijs tries to pull half of the cookie isle into the car. And I have to tell him no, every week, simply because they make him sick. And I get his sad face, because of all the cookie boxes have his favourite cartoon characters on it. And what does he get? Boring cookies in boring boxes. His disappointment makes my heart cry, but I can't make it go away. He and I just have to deal. And our way to deal is to bake cookies together. I cannot produce fantastic cardboard packaging with his favorites on it, but I can bake him cookies he loves and he gets to help.

One of the cookies I used to love as a kid were sugar candy cookies, in Dutch we call them Bastogne cookies. It's my kind of crack. If I buy a box, it's gone before the day is over. So today the kids and I decided to try and make something similar glutenfree. Because I want to share my addiction with them. And we came pretty close to the original in taste.
Here is how you make 'cookie crack'.

Ingredients:
  • 300 grams (10.5 oz) of rice flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 175 grams (6 oz) of soft butter
  • 75 grams (2.75 oz) of ground sugar candy
  • 100 ml (3.5 fl oz) of sugar syrup 
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum
  • 2 tablespoons of gingerbread spices
  • 1 tablespoon of cinnamon


Instructions:
  1. Put all ingredients except for the ground sugar candy into a bowl. Mix it all well till all is combined. 
  2. Add the sugar candy and mix again.
  3. Take the dough out of the bowl make a long square bar that you wrap in plastic foil and refrigerate for an hour. 
  4. Eat every last bit of dough that is left in the bowl from the bowl. This is a must! Do not ever skip this step in the process. 
  5. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Centigrade (337 degrees Fahrenheit).
  6. Line a baking tray with parchement paper and chop up the bar into thick slices. Put the slices on the baking tray. This recipe makes about 20 cookies. 
  7. I made two small incisions on each cookie like the real deal and then put them in the oven for 25 minutes. 
  8. Let them cool on a wire rack before serving them with a cup of tea or coffee.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten