donderdag 12 september 2013

Glutenfree fig & walnut soda bread rolls full of vitamins, minerals and fibers

As a mom of two boys I get the strangest questions about my kids glutenfree diet. People ask me if the kids can actually eat potatoes, if they can eat dairy or if the diet is is the cause of their slim frame. That's when I start rolling my eyes. First of all, my oldest has been struggling to gain weight for years now and that has not been a picnic. My youngest is below average when it comes to weight (and to us he is bulkier than his brother has ever been). And no, that is NOT because of this diet. 
It is because of celiac disease that Thijmen is very thin and he seems to have inherited my build (I've always been slim until I ate myself into oblivion for some years of my life, but that aside LOL). This diet, that thanks to some brainless celebs who call their kids Apple, is now labeled a great way to lose weight. And it isn't anything as such. 

I've written a whole blog on what this diet means to my kids, so I won't put you all through that again ;-). But what I haven't stressed is that this diet is not as healthy as people make it seem. Because glutenfree flour lacks fibers, certain vitamins and minerals that people who can eat wheat, rye, barley, kamut and spelt wheat will get by means of their daily intake of bread, pasta and such. 
So basically, if you do not substitute that in some way, you will lack nutrients your body desperately needs. How healthy is that? If you feel the need to drop carbs, be my guest, but don't call yourself 'glutenfree'. Because glutenfree products (bread, pasta etc) have often have just as much carbs as the "regular" version. They may be different carbs, but you are still eating carbs. So who's fooling who? Sorry, but everytime I hear or read such nonsense I feel the need to get up on my soapbox. Again. And this blog is my soapbox. Just eat healthy people and use your brain! My mom always says, too much of everything (no matter what it is) isn't healthy. Just think about it, it really is true. 

Anyway, because I need to substitute certain minerals & fibers in my kids food, I like to add (dried) fruits, nuts or even veggies to my kids bread. Today I made small sodabread rolls for lunch and added walnuts and figs. Figs contain a lot of fibers and vitamins such as vitamin A & B and minerals such as iron and calcium. Walnuts are a source of Omega 3, magnesium and vitamine E. By adding them I make sure my kids get the nutrients they need to grow into healthy boys and the bread only tastes better!

They look like regular bread rolls, but you can smell the figs and walnuts a mile away! 

Here's the recipe, it makes 10 soda bread rolls.

Ingredients:
  • 500 grams (1 lb 2 oz) of glutenfree flour
  • 1.5 teaspoon of iodized salt
  • 400 ml (14 fl oz) of goat yoghurt (yes, this makes all the difference, it gives the bread a soft but fresh taste.
  • 35 grams (1.25 oz) of granulated sugar
  • 75 grams (2.75 oz) of soft butter
  • 25 grams (1 oz) of baking powder
  • 75 grams (2.75 oz) of walnuts
  • 100 grams (3.5 oz) of dried figs
  • 2 teaspoons of xanthan gum
  • 2 teaspoons of fiber husk
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees centigrade (425 degrees fahrenheit) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
  2. Blitz the figs and walnuts into a paste and put it in a bowl. 
  3. Add all the other ingredients to the bowl and mix it all with an electric mixer till you have a sticky but combined dough. 
  4. Wet your hands with cold water and form 10 rolls and place them on the baking tray. 
  5. Carve them at the top and pop them in the oven for about 30-40 minutes till your house smells divine and the rolls are nice and golden. 
  6. Take them out of the oven and let them cool on a wire rack. 
  7. I love these with a bit of soft goats cheese on them, my kids eat them with regular Gouda cheese or preserve. 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten