dinsdag 3 september 2013

My Middle Eastern - Mediterranean fusion: bread rolls with yoghurt, feta, pecorino and mint

Yes, yes, I know! Fusion is a horrible word for saying: I took your original recipe, threw in some other ingredients and messed up your dish. To be honest, I don't like the word and the hype that was once created around it, but it got your attention, now didn't it? :-)
Fusion was once a hype, where chef's would make the most horrid combinations by mixing up two dishes from different origin and tadaa... a new cuisine was created. 
How "new" it was I don't know, because fusion is basically what we do daily in the kitchen, isn't it? I mean, the Italian dishes we serve in The Netherlands do by no means resemble the dishes you would eat in Italy. Why? Because we adapt it to our own taste and cooking methods that we are used too. We all do that. I do stuff like that daily in my kitchen. And this recipe is no exception, but in this case I feel a bit of remorse for doing so. Let me explain:

The basic recipe is from an exquisite cookbook called Saha, a culinary trip through the Middle East by Greg and Lucy Malouf. I once bought it as reference when I was working as a concept manager for a chain of Doner restaurants. I just wanted to read up and see how we could eventually expand the menu. You know, get some ideas. The book was just so beautiful and recipes so delicious I kept it on my desk as an ornament. The book just breathed Middle Eastern hospitality and ancient culinary traditions that captured my heart. When I left to another job (I went back to what I love doing most, being a communication consultant and writing for company magazines etc) I took that book with me, determined to cook from it often abiding to the culinary traditions that I loved when reading the recipes. Well, I haven't cooked from it, until today. And I left that job 5,5 years ago. So it was about time. 
And now, when I make the first recipe from it, I do that fusion thing to it. I'm sorry Greg and Lucy. I apologize from the bottom of my heart for putting a twist on your recipe. I promise next time I will make this recipe with Haloumi (which my supermarket in my un-cosmopolitan village just didn't have) and with parmesan instead of pecorino. I solemnly swear. 
If you could only smell these babies! 
Ingredients:

  • 325 grams (11.5 oz) of basic glutenfree breadflour
  • 7 grams (0.25 oz) of xanthan gum
  • 7 grams (0.25 oz) of fiber husk
  • 10 grams (0.35 oz) of dried yeast
  • 8 grams (0.28 oz) of granulated sugar
  • 5 grams (0.125 oz) of iodized salt
  • 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 100 ml (3.5 fl oz) of lukewarm water
  • 200 grams (7 oz) of Turkish yoghurt
  • 100 grams (3.5 oz) of grated feta (if you want to do it right, use Haloumi)
  • 50 grams (1.75 oz) of grated pecorino (or the original parmesan!) and a bit to put on top. 
  • 1 tablespoon of mint
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 50 degrees centigrade (122 degrees farenheit) and put a bowl of water in the oven. This will help the dough to proof. 
  2. Put all the ingredients in a bowl, following the ranking of the ingredients above. 
  3. Mix it all with an electric mixer till all is combined and you a left with a lump of sticky dough. Don't be alarmed, glutenfree dough needs to be a bit sticky. It needs the extra moisture in the dough to help it proof.
  4. Now wet your hands with lukewarm water and created little balls of dough. The water will keep the dough from sticking to your hands. I made 8 and put them on a tray lined with baking parchment. Put them close togehter, so when they proof they will merge a bit. You can tear them off at the dinner table (or lunch table as we did ;-)).
  5. Brush some olive oil on each roll and then top with some grated pecorino. (Also, the pecorino is not in the original recipe, but I figured it would make the rolls look even more pretty)
  6. Put them in the preheated oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. 
  7. Take them out, let them rest a while while you preheat the oven to 250 degrees centigrade, 482 degrees fahrenheit). When the oven is at the right temperature, bake the rolls in about 15-20 minutes till golden and they make your mouth water.
  8. Let them cool a bit, but serve them while still warm.
Enjoy!



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten