maandag 9 september 2013

My kids all time favorite glutenfree Chicken Nuggets

The hardest part of this glutenfree diet, in my eyes, is having to disappoint my children so often. And most of the time it isn't me who is disappointing them, it's the (catering) world around us that does. When we go a themepark or something like that, I always drag a bag around with glutenfree candy, fruits, chips and a glutenfree lunch. I understand catering celiacs is difficult and scary and requieres a staff that knows exactly what they are doing. Trust me, having worked for a company that was responsible for the retail and catering on train stations, I know exactly how difficult it is. Yet the mom in me wishes more restaurants and F&B managers in themeparks or zoo's took it seriously. Took a chance. See catering for people living on a glutenfree diet as an opportunity instead of something scary and difficult. Providing defrosted glutenfree bread, (sometimes) a plate of french fries (that usually is a hit with my kids) or a salad with barely anything in it is a nice try, but it is unimaginative and easy. It's safe. And would you serve that to your "normal" guests as well? I don't think so. But this wish is something other people stuck on diets will probably voice too. Because catering is a general thing and in general, most people are not stuck on a diet for life.

Because options are so limited and because I understand it takes time & effort to cater for people with special diet needs I drag around my bag of food everywhere. Because in the end, a fun day is not determined by what you eat, but by the fun you have together. Often I promise my kids their own sandwich at the location and a feast when we get home. And in the feast I serve them these glutenfree chicken nuggets, or as my youngest son Gijs calls them: Chicken Muppets. And they are sooo easy to make!

Even though I am fully aware that most people who eat glutenfree will know how to coat meat with glutenfree breadcrumbs, I'm sharing this because the secret to them is the herbs that I add to the glutenfree breadcrumbs and the use of chicken fillets made from chickens who actually had a good life. I buy mine from our local butcher who knows where those chickens come from and knows they weren't pumped full of anitbiotics. Don't go for cheap meat! (Ouch, I sound like Jamie Oliver now, don't I? :-))

After eating these home made chicken nuggets you'll never want to eat a processed meat kind of nugget, I promise!

My kids favorite feast food!


Ingredients (for 4 people):
  • 3 chicken breast fillets
  • 2 eggs (beaten)
  • 150 grams of plain glutenfree flour
  • 200 grams of glutenfree bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon of dried thyme
  • 1 tablespoon of dried oregano 
  • salt & papper to taste
Instructions:
  1. Cut the chicken fillets into even pieces.
  2. Take three plates or bowls and fill one with the glutenfree flour, one with the beaten egg and one with the breadcrumbs.
  3. Season the glutenfree flour with pepper and salt.
  4. Add the herbs to the glutenfree breadcrumb and mix well.
  5. Now coat the pieces of chicken in the following order: Dust them with the glutenfree flour (I use a fork and roll them through the flour), coat them with the egg making sure there is egg allround the meat and then roll the egg covered chicken through the breadcrumbs with herbs.
  6. When all are coated, fry them in batches in your deep fryer (temp 175 degrees centigrade or 350 degrees fahrenheit) for about 5 minutes till golden and crispy. If you don't have a deep fryer a pan with some olive oil will do too. Make sure the oil is hot before you fry the nuggets, otherwise the crust will soak up the oil, resulting in soggy nuggets. You can test the oil by dropping a but of breadcrumb in the pan. When it sizzles and bubbles, your oil is hot enough.
Enjoy!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten