zondag 21 april 2013

Glutenfree pancakes or glutenfree Dutch mini-pancakes (poffertjes)

My kids love Poffertjes, a typical Dutch dish, best described as mini-pancakes.We serve it with syrup, or butter and sugar. We bake them in frying pans with little dents in them. I make these for dinner and then finish the left-over batter by baking pancakes. Dutch pancakes are more like French crepes, than American pancakes. They are the size of a crepe but thicker. Not as thick and fluffy as American pancakes though.
This recipe took me a while to figure out. There was a lot of trial and error involved, because not every attempt worked on pancakes and poffertjes. And I didn't want to use a pre-fab mix, I wanted to be able to make it with ingredients I always have available. I also need to mention I'm not a great pancake baker, I can't flip them (they'd end up all over the floor of my kitchen) so this recipe is pretty much foolproof.

Ingredients:
  • 800 ml (27.05 fl oz) of milk
  • 2 eggs
  • Pinch of salt
  • 230 grams (8.11 oz) of glutenfree all purpose flour
  • 50 grams (1.75 oz) of buckwheat flour
Instructions:
  1. Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix well till all is combined and there are no lumps.
  2. Leave it to settle for 15 minutes, the flour will well, and the batter will get thicker. 
  3. Mix again.
To make poffertjes:
  1. Put a 'poffertjes'-pan on medium heat. 
  2. Put a a tiny bit of butter (fluid butter works best) in each dent. 
  3. Pour batter in each dent when butter is bubbling. Make sure you fill the dent till the top, not over. 
  4. Bake them on one side till the top is dry, but not baked yet & turn over with a spoon. 
  5. Serve each portion with butter and sugar or maple syrup.

To make pancakes:
  • Put a frying pan on medium heat. 
  • Put in a bit of butter, pour in a big spoon (I use a soupladle) and move the pan about so the batter can spread. 
  • Bake till the top is dry, turn and bake golden.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten