donderdag 18 april 2013

Quinoa with tons of veggies, feta and herbcoated chicken

When I first started looking for glutenfree products 5 years ago, quinoa was one of the most listed things, yet I couldn't get my hands on it. And now, its everywhere, because it is a very healthy product, light, full of protein and iron.
But how to cook it was another thing. When I first bought it I cooked it like rice and served it just like that with stirfried chicken and veggies. My kids were horrified and rightly so. It was bland and well... It tasted like proper tastesless health food. You know... "eeeeewwww..."!

I found out that quinoa is very versatile though, but it works best if you use it instead of couscous, but leave the rest of the recipe intact. This recipe below is a Jamie Oliver recipe in which I exchanged the couscous for quinoa and left out the spicy stuff so my kids will eat it. I also added one step and popped it in the oven, where Jamie serves it just like that. But my kids aren't that good with partly uncooked veggies. My oldest says it's for rabbits, so.. yeah.. that's where the oven comes in. 
It's light, it's perfect for a summer supper and even my kids love it. They eat tons of veggies and the healthy quinoa, which is a total win in my book.

Ingredients:
  • 300 grams (10.58 oz) of uncooked quinoa
  • 2 red peppers
  • 4 springonions chopped
  • Half a bunch of fresh dille
  • 200 grams (7.05 oz) of peas
  • A handful (i use a full packet, my kid adores olives) of black olives without the kernel
  • A packet of feta (about 200 grams/7.05 oz)
  • Some olive oil
  • 2 chickenbreasts of 200 grams (7.05 oz) each
  • A teaspoon of  dried oregano 
  • 1 teaspon of ground piment
  • The zest of one lemon
(I toss in even more veggies, I added sundried tomatoes and left over broccoli today too, I love veggies and any excuse to feed my kids a bit more of those healthy buggers. ;-))

Instructions
Firstly: I use precooked quinoa, that you just have to cook for 3 minutes, but read the packet carefully, you may need to soak them first before cooking it per the instructions on the packet.

  1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade/400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Put the oregano, piment, salt, pepper, lemon zest and the chickenbreasts into a plastic bag and shake till the herbs are all over the chickenbreasts. Flatten them a bit by bashing them with a rolling pin and then fry them in a frying pan with some olive oil. 
  3. Chop up the red peppers and the spring onions. I bake the spring onions with the chicken for a bit so they taste a bit more mild. Chop up the dille and put the veggies & the dille in a ovenproof bowl/dish. Add other veggies now too if you want to use more. Jamie adds some spicy peppers here too, but  don't want crying kids at the dinner table, so i leave them out. 
  4. Quickly cook the frozen peas, a few minutes in boiling water will do. 
  5. Add them to the veggies with the kernel free black olives. Sprinkle this with lemon juice and some olive oil. 
  6. Mix in the boiled quinoa and add pepper and salt to taste. Top with feta and sliced chickenbreasts. Here is where Jamie serves it with homemade tzatziki, I choose to put the dish in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten